Get rid of unwanted Dandruff easily
Everybody experiences dandruff at some point in their life, irrespective of their ethnicity, age and gender. Anyone who has ever experienced dandruff knows how irritating and embarrassing the itchy and flaky scalp can be. Tiny white flecks on your shoulders, especially when you are wearing dark colours, are never fun. And it does not stop at just the scalp.Dandruff can spread to the ears, eyebrows, eyelashes, chest, beard, etc.
An itchy scalp makes it very uncomfortable to go out and be normal. An itchy scalp can worsen if it is the Summer, and you are sweating. Sweat will irritate the already itchy scalp and make it worse. Dr. Rinky Kapoor,Cosmetic Dermatologist & Dermato-Surgeon,The Esthetic Clinic,shares the causes and natural remedies.
The reason behind dandruff is still a mystery. It is known to be associated with increased oil production and yeast. Dandruff is not contagious and does not spread on touch. Common reasons of dandruff include:
• Oily skin
• Oily scalp
• Poor hygiene
• Hot and humid or cold and dry weather
• Infrequent and improper shampooing
• Poor immune system
• Chronic illness
• Lack of sun
Dandruff can be seasonal, or you can have a condition of perennial flaky scalp.Either way, there are some easy remedies for you to get rid of dandruff permanently.
• Neem Leaves:
There are two ways you can use neem leaves to kill dandruff from the root. One is to make a paste of fresh neem leaves, apply on scalp as a mask, leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse out your hair. The second way is to boil some neem leaves along with coconut oil, strain and cool the mix, and apply on scalp regularly before shampooing your hair.
• Onion Juice:
Grate and squeeze an onion and apply the juice on your scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair. Onion juice helps in reducing hair fall too.
• Tea tree oil:
Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo and you will see the effects almost immediately.
• Baking soda:
Apply some baking soda on your scalp and rinse. No need to shampoo. Your hair will be dry for a few washes, but after that your scalp will be dandruff free and your hair will be soft and shiny.
• Apple cider vinegar:
Mix a quart of apple cider vinegar with water. Spritz it on your scalp before using shampoo.
• Crude honey mixed with warm water:
Immediate relief from itchy scalp
Take two tablespoons of lemon juice and rub it on your scalp.Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
Apply curd on your hair like a mask and leave it on for one hour. Wash with a mild shampoo.
• Over the counter dandruff shampoos:
There are many over the counter dandruff shampoo in the market:
o PyrithioneZinc shampoos:
These are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
o Tar based shampoos:
Not suitable for light coloured hair
o Salicylic acid shampoos:
These tend to leave the hair dry and you will need to use a conditioner after every use.
o Ketoconazole shampoos:
They are broad spectrum and work very well for dandruff.
• You can also treat skin inflammation by using hydrocortisone 1% for two to four weeks.
• For face and ear dandruff, wash the areas with dandruff shampoo regularly and avoid heavily oiled hair.
• To treat eyelid dandruff do a daily application of baby shampoo.
• Cradle cap (baby dandruff) can be treated by frequently washing with baby shampoo. For large number of flakes, use a toothbrush dipped in olive oil and gently massage on the baby’s scalp.
• For dandruff which does not settle with home remedies, visit aDermatologist who can advise you on what will work best for your hair.